The cinematic twist during the ceremony’s final moment stunned millions, but most importantly, the famous people had feelings. So at the precise moment when all eyes were on the stage for the awkward transition, the LA Times captured a who’s who of reactions. There’s something for everyone in this historic photograph because the expressions ran the gamut from bewildered to wincing and far beyond.
Ever the expressive dramatist, David Oyelowo looked like he might have been in disbelief. The Rock looked as if the apocalypse happened. Matt Damon’s eyebrows wordlessly communicated everything you can’t. His pal, Ben Affleck looked to his right, not knowing what to do while Salma Hayek appeared to cringe and freeze. Oscars veteran Meryl Streep prepared to go in full crisis mode.
But there’s no debating that Busy Phillips and Michelle Williams had the best looks on their faces. Mouths agape, the standard awards show companions were very much stunned.
See the photo below.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now