While you were sleeping, Drake dropped a new track, “Draft Day.”
The song is filled with Drake’s laconic beats and tough talk verses splayed over a sample of Lauryn Hill’s still-great “Doo Wop (That Thing)”.
The surprise song may be in response to Jay Z dissing him in a line on Jay Electronica’s remix of Drake’s “We Made It,” but Drake never mentions either of them by name. (Spin can explain that one.) That said, “Draft Day” does include plenty of namechecks, including American Hustle star Jennifer Lawrence (“Jennifer Lawrence, you can really get it”) and upcoming artist Chance the Rapper (“If I left this sh– to chance, I would’ve picked a name like Chance the Rapper / No offense ).
As for the title, Drake also mentions Johnny Manziel, the former Heisman Trophy winner, former Texas A & M quarterback and likely first-round NFL Draft pick.
The song is available for free download, so you can listen to it while making draft day predictions or starting a rap rivalry of your very own:
MORE: Jack White Announces New Album Lazaretto, Out June 10
MORE: 50 Cent Joins Cast of Melissa McCarthy’s Spy
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now