While you were sleeping, Drake dropped a new track, “Draft Day.”
The song is filled with Drake’s laconic beats and tough talk verses splayed over a sample of Lauryn Hill’s still-great “Doo Wop (That Thing)”.
The surprise song may be in response to Jay Z dissing him in a line on Jay Electronica’s remix of Drake’s “We Made It,” but Drake never mentions either of them by name. (Spin can explain that one.) That said, “Draft Day” does include plenty of namechecks, including American Hustle star Jennifer Lawrence (“Jennifer Lawrence, you can really get it”) and upcoming artist Chance the Rapper (“If I left this sh– to chance, I would’ve picked a name like Chance the Rapper / No offense ).
As for the title, Drake also mentions Johnny Manziel, the former Heisman Trophy winner, former Texas A & M quarterback and likely first-round NFL Draft pick.
The song is available for free download, so you can listen to it while making draft day predictions or starting a rap rivalry of your very own:
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms