Facebook videos will soon start automatically playing with sound as you scroll through your News Feed, the company announced Tuesday.
Mercifully, the videos won’t play with sound if you have your phone set to silent. But if you’d like to stop them from automatically playing sound altogether, Facebook is offering an option to do that as well.
First, click the three-line icon in the bottom-right hand corner of the Facebook app.
Then, tap “Settings.” Next, hit “Account Settings.” Then tap “Sounds.”
There, you should see an option to turn off “Videos in News Feed Start With Sound.”
Note that the change is rolling out gradually, so you might not see the appropriate setting just yet. But when you start getting videos with auto-playing sound in your feed, you should get the setting to mute them as well.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022