On Wednesday night, Beyoncé Knowles took to Instagram to announce that she was pregnant — not with one child but with twins. In the photo, she’s veiled and kneeling in front of a bouquet of flowers, gently clasping her stomach; in the caption, written on behalf of her and her husband Jay-Z, she said that they “have been blessed two times over” and “are incredibly grateful that our family will be growing by two.”
The photo has blown up, inevitably. In under 20 hours, it accrued more than 7.2 million likes — more than any photo ever posted on the platform, according to Instagram.
She’s taking the title from Selena Gomez, who in July posted a shot of the singer sipping from a glass bottle of Coca-Cola whose label featured lyrics to her song “Me and the Rhythm.” That shot has 6.3 million likes today; Beyoncé’s surpassed that count in 11 hours, Instagram said, and the number continues to rise.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.