Former First Daughter Chelsea Clinton hit back at trolls attacking 10-year-old Barron Trump, while advising followers to stand-up to his father.
Clinton, who was two years older than Barron when she moved into the White House in 1993, defended his right to a normal childhood on posts on Facebook and Twitter, but she argued that President Trump should be held accountable for his policies.
“Barron Trump deserves the chance every child does-to be a kid,” Clinton wrote on Sunday. “Standing up for every kid also means opposing POTUS policies that hurt kids.”
Jokes about Barron Trump circulated online during the inauguration, with trolls scrutinizing his posture and facial expressions. Clinton faced rough treatment during the presidency of her father, Bill Clinton, including a rude joke from a U.S. senator. More recently, Sasha and Malia Obama were occasionally criticized for their facial expressions during formal events.
Many Facebook users praised Chelsea Clinton for taking a stand.
Facebook user Joan Budinski wrote: “NO CHILD should be targeted because of who their parents are or what position they hold. He is a ten year old little boy. Show him the same respect that was shown to the Bush and Obama daughters and SHOULD HAVE been shown to Amy Carter and Chelsea Clinton. The children should be OFF LIMITS.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com