Former First Daughter Chelsea Clinton hit back at trolls attacking 10-year-old Barron Trump, while advising followers to stand-up to his father.
Clinton, who was two years older than Barron when she moved into the White House in 1993, defended his right to a normal childhood on posts on Facebook and Twitter, but she argued that President Trump should be held accountable for his policies.
“Barron Trump deserves the chance every child does-to be a kid,” Clinton wrote on Sunday. “Standing up for every kid also means opposing POTUS policies that hurt kids.”
Jokes about Barron Trump circulated online during the inauguration, with trolls scrutinizing his posture and facial expressions. Clinton faced rough treatment during the presidency of her father, Bill Clinton, including a rude joke from a U.S. senator. More recently, Sasha and Malia Obama were occasionally criticized for their facial expressions during formal events.
Many Facebook users praised Chelsea Clinton for taking a stand.
Facebook user Joan Budinski wrote: “NO CHILD should be targeted because of who their parents are or what position they hold. He is a ten year old little boy. Show him the same respect that was shown to the Bush and Obama daughters and SHOULD HAVE been shown to Amy Carter and Chelsea Clinton. The children should be OFF LIMITS.”
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now