Former First Daughter Chelsea Clinton hit back at trolls attacking 10-year-old Barron Trump, while advising followers to stand-up to his father.
Clinton, who was two years older than Barron when she moved into the White House in 1993, defended his right to a normal childhood on posts on Facebook and Twitter, but she argued that President Trump should be held accountable for his policies.
“Barron Trump deserves the chance every child does-to be a kid,” Clinton wrote on Sunday. “Standing up for every kid also means opposing POTUS policies that hurt kids.”
Jokes about Barron Trump circulated online during the inauguration, with trolls scrutinizing his posture and facial expressions. Clinton faced rough treatment during the presidency of her father, Bill Clinton, including a rude joke from a U.S. senator. More recently, Sasha and Malia Obama were occasionally criticized for their facial expressions during formal events.
Many Facebook users praised Chelsea Clinton for taking a stand.
Facebook user Joan Budinski wrote: “NO CHILD should be targeted because of who their parents are or what position they hold. He is a ten year old little boy. Show him the same respect that was shown to the Bush and Obama daughters and SHOULD HAVE been shown to Amy Carter and Chelsea Clinton. The children should be OFF LIMITS.”
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer