Melania Trump tapped an American designer for her daytime Inauguration look.
Trump wore a powder blue Ralph Lauren coat and dress, paired with matching pumps and gloves — a look that immediately garnered comparisons to former First Lady and fashion icon Jacqueline Kennedy. “With the historic swearing-in of her husband, Donald J. Trump, as the 45th President of the United States, the First Lady-elect will become America’s new First Lady wearing an American designer who transformed American fashion, Ralph Lauren,” her spokeswoman told WWD.
The incoming First Lady has favored Lauren in the past, wearing a white jumpsuit by the brand — off the rack — on Election Night. Trump’s fashion choices will be closely watched during her tenure, especially since the fashion industry hotly debated whether designers should dress Trump given some of her husband’s rhetoric during the election.
She’ll have another big fashion moment on Friday night at the Inaugural balls. Rumors are swirling that she’ll also be dressed by Chanel and Fendi designer Karl Lagerfeld, a German designer, during the events.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Samantha Cooney at firstname.lastname@example.org