Melania Trump tapped an American designer for her daytime Inauguration look.
Trump wore a powder blue Ralph Lauren coat and dress, paired with matching pumps and gloves — a look that immediately garnered comparisons to former First Lady and fashion icon Jacqueline Kennedy. “With the historic swearing-in of her husband, Donald J. Trump, as the 45th President of the United States, the First Lady-elect will become America’s new First Lady wearing an American designer who transformed American fashion, Ralph Lauren,” her spokeswoman told WWD.
The incoming First Lady has favored Lauren in the past, wearing a white jumpsuit by the brand — off the rack — on Election Night. Trump’s fashion choices will be closely watched during her tenure, especially since the fashion industry hotly debated whether designers should dress Trump given some of her husband’s rhetoric during the election.
She’ll have another big fashion moment on Friday night at the Inaugural balls. Rumors are swirling that she’ll also be dressed by Chanel and Fendi designer Karl Lagerfeld, a German designer, during the events.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement