After the moderator opened the floor for questions during her post-match press conference, Williams shut down comments from the first reporter called on, who dubbed her performance “scrappy” and full of unforced errors. “I think that’s a very negative thing to say,” she responded. “Are you serious?”
The tennis superstar then went on to ask if he wanted to apologize, which he quickly did. “Thank you very much,” she said. “That was a great performance. I played well. She’s a former top-10 player. The last time we played together was the finals of a Grand Slam.”
This isn’t the first time Williams has been completely honest with reporters. During a press conference at the 2015 U.S. Open, she gave a flawlessly candid response when asked why she wasn’t smiling after her victory over sister Venus Williams.
Watch the full Australian Open clip below.
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time