If there’s anyone who can help shed positive light on the tumultuous 2016, it’s Selena Gomez. The singer took to Instagram — where she’s established one of the biggest followings on the social media platform — and recorded a live video about the main lessons she took away from the year, such as “awareness,” Elle reports.
Gomez opened up in a casual setting as she chatted with two of her friends about the importance of friendship. The singer explained why it’s vital to surround oneself with high-quality friends. She said it’s important to be aware of “the people that you’re surrounding yourself with, the people that are purposefully the ones you are spending time with.” She shared an anecdote emphasizing her point: “We go to dinner sometimes with friends, and sometimes we’ll go to dinner and we’ll leave and we’ll think, ‘That was such a pointless dinner. What did I learn from it? What will I gain from it? What was the point of it?'”
But other dinners with friends go very differently. Gomez said, they’ll “sit at the table for five hours” and check in with each other. During Gomez’s Instagram Live video, one of her well-known besties, Taylor Swift, did just that and commented on her video.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement