Pop icon George Michael passed away Dec. 25 at his home in Goring-on-Thames, England, according to his publicist.
Originally part of the duo Wham! with school friend Andrew Ridgeley, Michael later broke out as a solo artist with 1987’s Faith, which went on to sell over 25 million copies and earned a Grammy for Album of the Year in 1989. Songs like “Faith” and “Freedom! ’90” established him as one of the most stylish, soulful and best loved artists of the 1980s and 1990s.
TIME looks back at Michael’s life in photos.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science