David Bowie and Alan Rickman passed away in January, drawing tributes from around the world from fans of the singer and actor. Fidel Castro died in November, sparking celebration from critics of the longtime Cuban dictator. John Glenn departed the Earth in December, prompting mourning for the legendary astronaut on the ground and in space.
Take a look back at the lives of some of the people we lost in 2016 in the video above.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve