David Bowie and Alan Rickman passed away in January, drawing tributes from around the world from fans of the singer and actor. Fidel Castro died in November, sparking celebration from critics of the longtime Cuban dictator. John Glenn departed the Earth in December, prompting mourning for the legendary astronaut on the ground and in space.
Take a look back at the lives of some of the people we lost in 2016 in the video above.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now