Like the esteemed family entertainment chain’s anthropomorphic rat and his pop-culture savvy bandmates before him, Brandon “Bam” Morales, Marquese “Nonstop” Scott and Julius “IGlide” Chisolm of the Dragon House Crew freeze, glide and rotate to the tune of Childish Gambino’s “Redbone” in the video, titled “Chuck E. Cheese Challenge.”
These human people created the video for fun, and it’s totally unrelated to the phenomenon of the social media mannequin challenge, in which high schoolers and celebrities alike record themselves frozen like statutes to instantly achieve viral fame.
Scott asked the others to move “robot-like” for the clip on a whim after being struck by the tone the of track from Awaken My Love!, the latest album from Childish Gambino (Atlanta star Donald Glover). “The song influenced his idea as well because it sounded like one that would be used at a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant. We didn’t think much of the video and just uploaded it for memories and laughter,” Morales tells TIME.
Watch them in faux-mechanical action below and try it at home if you’d like:
And here are the inspirational originals getting in on the mannequin challenge with a holiday twist:
- From Jan. 6 to Tyre Nichols, American Life Is Still Defined by Caste
- As People Return to Offices, It’s Back to Miserable for America’s Working Moms
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year