“Just friends. Just friends—and he’s a good man,” Trump told reporters in the lobby, responding to questions about the purpose of their meeting. “We’ve been friends for a long time.”
“I just wanted to take a picture right now,” West said, when asked if he is considering performing at Trump’s inauguration or running for president in 2020.
“So long, man, you take care of yourself. I’ll see you soon,” Trump said to West as they shook hands and parted ways.
During a mid-concert rant last month, West said he would have cast his ballot for Trump—if he had voted in the presidential election. “If I would’ve voted, I would’ve voted [for] Trump,” he said, calling Trump’s campaign approach “absolutely genius.”
Trump has previously praised West as well.
“You know what? I will never say bad about him, you know why? Because he loves Trump!” Trump said in September 2015, after West suggested he would run for president in 2020. “Kanye West has been so great.”
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time