Rapper Kanye West met with President-elect Donald Trump on Tuesday morning—the latest in a series of sometimes surprising visitors to Trump Tower.
“Just friends. Just friends—and he’s a good man,” Trump told reporters in the lobby, responding to questions about the purpose of their meeting. “We’ve been friends for a long time.”
“I just wanted to take a picture right now,” West said, when asked if he is considering performing at Trump’s inauguration or running for president in 2020.
“So long, man, you take care of yourself. I’ll see you soon,” Trump said to West as they shook hands and parted ways.
During a mid-concert rant last month, West said he would have cast his ballot for Trump—if he had voted in the presidential election. “If I would’ve voted, I would’ve voted [for] Trump,” he said, calling Trump’s campaign approach “absolutely genius.”
Trump has previously praised West as well.
“You know what? I will never say bad about him, you know why? Because he loves Trump!” Trump said in September 2015, after West suggested he would run for president in 2020. “Kanye West has been so great.”
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement