The idolized color authority announced its choice of the shade Pantone 15-0343 (generally called “greenery”) on Thursday. Pantone chooses a color each year that it expects to appear prominently in fashion, products, design and life—as well as reflect prevailing mood or sentiments, CNN Money reports.
“We know what kind of world we are living in: one that is very stressful and very tense,“ Leatrice Eiseman, Pantone Color Institute executive director, told the New York Times. “This is the color of hopefulness, and of our connection to nature. It speaks to what we call the ‘re’ words: regenerate, refresh, revitalize, renew. Every spring we enter a new cycle and new shoots come from the ground. It is something life affirming to look forward to.”
The color forecasters examine manufacturing and design trends, from fashion to street art, to determine the upcoming color, Laurie Pressman, vice president of Pantone Color Institute, told CNN. The “fresh and zesty yellow-green shade” has started appearing in technology such as a Mercedes model, and also symbolizes interest in protecting the environment.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms