The idolized color authority announced its choice of the shade Pantone 15-0343 (generally called “greenery”) on Thursday. Pantone chooses a color each year that it expects to appear prominently in fashion, products, design and life—as well as reflect prevailing mood or sentiments, CNN Money reports.
“We know what kind of world we are living in: one that is very stressful and very tense,“ Leatrice Eiseman, Pantone Color Institute executive director, told the New York Times. “This is the color of hopefulness, and of our connection to nature. It speaks to what we call the ‘re’ words: regenerate, refresh, revitalize, renew. Every spring we enter a new cycle and new shoots come from the ground. It is something life affirming to look forward to.”
The color forecasters examine manufacturing and design trends, from fashion to street art, to determine the upcoming color, Laurie Pressman, vice president of Pantone Color Institute, told CNN. The “fresh and zesty yellow-green shade” has started appearing in technology such as a Mercedes model, and also symbolizes interest in protecting the environment.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Julia Zorthian at firstname.lastname@example.org