Earlier this year, Tom Holland’s light and airy cameo as Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War felt like a breath of fresh air. Two months after Batman v Superman took the genre to new depths of sobriety, Holland burst onto the scene wide-eyed and easily enthused, like a puppy so overwhelmed by a windfall of new toys that all he can do is pant and wag his tail and implore you to play with him.
After a 17-second teaser clip was released on Wednesday morning, the long-awaited trailer for Holland’s feature-length debut as the superhero, Spider-Man: Homecoming, premiered Thursday night on Jimmy Kimmel Live! The trailer seems to confirm what Holland’s previous appearance in the Spidey suit suggested: that Homecoming will be an antidote—and a much more wholesome one than Ryan Reynolds’ Deadpool—to all the handwringing about collateral damage, and a break from jaded superheroes everywhere.
Spider-Man: Homecoming hits theaters July 7, 2017.
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption