Earlier this year, Tom Holland’s light and airy cameo as Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War felt like a breath of fresh air. Two months after Batman v Superman took the genre to new depths of sobriety, Holland burst onto the scene wide-eyed and easily enthused, like a puppy so overwhelmed by a windfall of new toys that all he can do is pant and wag his tail and implore you to play with him.
After a 17-second teaser clip was released on Wednesday morning, the long-awaited trailer for Holland’s feature-length debut as the superhero, Spider-Man: Homecoming, premiered Thursday night on Jimmy Kimmel Live! The trailer seems to confirm what Holland’s previous appearance in the Spidey suit suggested: that Homecoming will be an antidote—and a much more wholesome one than Ryan Reynolds’ Deadpool—to all the handwringing about collateral damage, and a break from jaded superheroes everywhere.
Spider-Man: Homecoming hits theaters July 7, 2017.
- Column: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive