Correction appended, Nov. 30, 2016
Police officers responded to reports of a “jack-ss guy” who wouldn’t stop whistling, according to Captain Mike Herb of the Forest Grove Police Department, who writes the department’s always entertaining weekly police log.
“It’s not clear if the caller would have been more or less upset if it was a different genre or whether it was just the talent lacking in the whistling,” Herb told TIME, with a chuckle. Whatever the reason (perhaps she just realized what the song was about?), the woman was definitely not a fan of the man’s whistling, and when she told the whistler to “shut up”, a verbal altercation broke out. That’s when she called the police.
While the whistler had moved on by the time police arrived, cops still located him and, according to Herb, he was still whistling “Closing Time.” Police officers spoke to the man who said he was upset that he had been told to shut up. Cops sent him on his way, and according to the notes left by the officer in the police log, “he whistled his way back home.”
Relive the song below.
Correction: The original version of this story misidentified the Forest Grove Police Department Captain. His name is Mike Herb.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time