R&B star Brandy was officially crowned the “Lady of Soul” at the 2016 Soul Train Awards, which aired Sunday night, and in the singer’s ensuing performance on the show she fully upheld the honors of the title.
Her nine-minute song medley, available to watch on BET, was a trip down R&B memory lane, with snippets from songs like “Almost Doesn’t Count,” “What About Us,” “Talk About Our Love,” and others. In the stripped-down production, a black-clad Brandy gets some backup from two male singer/dancers, but ultimately lets her own talent speak for itself.
Brandy, who first hit the scene two decades ago with her debut album, last released new music in January. But in the meantime, she’s been busy on Broadway in a production of Chicago and on television with a BET sitcom. And, thanks to this musical throwback performance, she’s just reminded everyone of her original claim to fame.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer