Two teenagers have been charged as adults with first-degree murder in the shooting death of Jovan Wilson, the grandson of U.S. Rep. Danny Davis.
Chicago police said suspects Tariq Harris, 16, and Dijae Banks, 17, took part in the killing of the 15-year-old Wilson. Wilson was shot in the head on Friday after an argument over gym shoes, police said.
“There was a history between the young people involved, and it was a dispute over gym shoes,” Anthony Guglielmi, a spokesman for the Chicago Police Department told the Chicago Tribune.
Harris and Banks will appear in court later Sunday and are being charged as adults, Guglielmi said.
“Unfortunately, this is another example of a fifteen year old with a gun who shouldn’t have never had it,” he wrote. “Where did the gun come from? How did he get it? And of course, he never should have had it.”
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State