President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel gave a joint press conference on Thursday in Berlin, showing a united front in the face of global changes including Donald Trump’s election and stating the importance of being able to “stand up” to Russia.
Obama finished his last trip to Europe with the press conference with Merkel, his longtime ally. He remained positive about the transition of power in the U.S. when he spoke to reporters, though he also described the negative effects of social media on recent political discussion in the U.S.
Merkel and Obama held the conference at the German Chancellery in Berlin. Read the full transcript of their remarks below:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement