Following the election of Donald Trump, numerous organizations, such as Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), have seen massive increases in donations, according to the Atlantic.
The exponential growth in contributions is going to causes like women’s rights and antidiscrimination groups that feel under threat from the President-elect
Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards called the outpouring of support “unprecedented.” The organization has received nearly 80,000 donations, many of them in Vice President–elect Mike Pence’s name as a means of speaking out against a controversial antiabortion law he passed. According to Cosmopolitan, women are sending their receipts from the donations his office in Indianapolis.
Similarly, the ACLU’s donation page crashed on Wednesday as people flooded to their site after the organization released a powerful statement about Trump’s election. Contributions to the organization increased by 7,000% and they have collected “roughly 120,000 donations totaling more than $7.2 million,” according to the Atlantic. Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO of the Anti-Defamation League, said in a statement that they are seeing a “fiftyfold increase in donations.”
The call for donations even spread to television. During the season finale of Last Week Tonight With John Oliver, Oliver offered viewers with numerous organizations they could give money to in order to help fight against Trump’s priorities, including the National Resources Defense Council and International Refugee Assistance Project.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was