Two bald eagles were trapped inside a Florida storm drain Thursday in a situation that many on social media called a fitting post-election metaphor.
The pair of eagles was stuck inside a drainage ditch in Orlando for several hours. One was able to fly out on its own, while the other needed to be freed by specialists about 6:20 p.m., according to local media outlets.
At least one video shows two of the birds sitting near the entrance of a sewer before they’re both startled by an approaching person. One flies away. The other struggles to move but then ducks into the sewer.
Officials reached into the drain and pulled the eagle out, according to Click Orlando.
It’s unclear if any of the birds were injured.
The bald eagle is the national bird symbol of the U.S. Earlier in the 2016 election cycle, one scared Donald Trump, who is now the president-elect.
Many took to Twitter to point out the possible symbolism in the sewer scene:
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror