And while there are many speculations over why Hillary Clinton lost the race, MSNBC host Rachel Maddow took time to call out third-party voters.
“Well, it is what it is. People go into this eyes wide-open,” Maddow said during MSNBC’s Election Night coverage. “If you vote for somebody who can’t win for president, it means that you don’t care who wins for president.”
In this election, Green party candidate Dr. Jill Stein won roughly 1% of the popular vote with 1.2 million votes and Gary Johnson of the Libertarian party won 3% with just over four million votes. The last time a third-party candidate won any states was in the 1968 presidential race, and Ross Perot earned approximately 19% of the popular vote in the 1992 election. Stein and Johnson undoubtedly impacted last night’s results.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science