And while there are many speculations over why Hillary Clinton lost the race, MSNBC host Rachel Maddow took time to call out third-party voters.
“Well, it is what it is. People go into this eyes wide-open,” Maddow said during MSNBC’s Election Night coverage. “If you vote for somebody who can’t win for president, it means that you don’t care who wins for president.”
In this election, Green party candidate Dr. Jill Stein won roughly 1% of the popular vote with 1.2 million votes and Gary Johnson of the Libertarian party won 3% with just over four million votes. The last time a third-party candidate won any states was in the 1968 presidential race, and Ross Perot earned approximately 19% of the popular vote in the 1992 election. Stein and Johnson undoubtedly impacted last night’s results.
- The Biggest Moments From the Second Republican Debate
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time