Let’s celebrate Facebook’s 10th birthday with a fun fact. Ready? Here it is: in America, more people now check Facebook than read the Bible on a daily basis.
Facebook says it has 757 million daily active users worldwide, the Associated Press reports. Of those, 19 percent are from the United States or Canada, so that’s 143 million daily users across North America. And according to the latest polling numbers, there are about 40 million U.S. adults reading the Bible each day. Even those of us with poor math skills know that 40 million is a much smaller number than 143 million.
Of course, there are probably plenty of people who read both Facebook AND the Bible each day, and those people are probably the ones sharing biblical quotes in your newsfeed all the time.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving