Host James Corden set the tone at the ceremony on Sunday night with a joke about hoping for another Clinton installment, according to The Hollywood Reporter. “This year they brought back Star Wars with a female lead. They rebooted Ghostbusters with a female cast,” he said. “And I pray to God they reboot the Clinton presidency with a female lead.”
Robert De Niro was more serious in his plea to the audience.
“Let me just lay it out right here: We have the opportunity to prevent a comedy from turning into a tragedy. Vote for Hillary Tuesday,” De Niro said.
Leonardo DiCaprio, who won a Documentary Award for his and director Fisher Stevens’ work on the climate change film Before the Flood, alluded to Donald Trump’s comments calling climate change a Chinese hoax, Variety reports.
“Please vote this Tuesday,” he said. “Vote for people who believe in the science of climate change.”
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023