Music wunderkind Lin-Manuel Miranda brought together a seriously high-wattage group of celebrity friends for The Hamilton Mixtape, a full 23-track version of his blockbuster Broadway musical’s song list.
Each track gets the star treatment, plus an updated arrangement. The featured artist list reads like a who’s-who of the industry, with appearances from Usher, Sia, Alicia Keys, Wiz Khalifa, John Legend, Chance the Rapper, Jimmy Fallon and The Roots, and talented, famous people. (There’s even a version of of the hip-hop love song “Helpless” sung by Ja Rule and Ashanti, taking us all the way back to the glory days of the early 2000s).
The mixtape isn’t out until Dec. 2, but Miranda decided to treat fans to an early taste of what’s to come by making two tracks — the intense “My Shot,” featuring nimble-voiced Busta Rhymes and The Roots with Joell Ortiz and Nate Ruess, and “It’s Quiet Uptown” featuring power ballad star Kelly Clarkson — available for those who preorder the album on iTunes. At the very least, you can listen to the minute-and-a-half previews of the songs with new orchestrations and appreciate the thrill of hearing familiar voices take on the hip-hop musical’s now-iconic tunes.
Oh, and people have feelings.
Anxious to get access to the songs without iTunes? Don’t worry, Miranda is on it.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Raisa Bruner at firstname.lastname@example.org