A South Carolina woman who was reported missing in late August was found “chained up like a dog” inside a storage container, authorities said Thursday.
Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright said deputies discovered Kala Brown in the town of Woodruff after they heard the 30-year-old woman banging on the chained and locked container, according to WYFF 4.
Brown, who had a chain around her neck, told her rescuers that her captor kept her inside the container for two months and fed her regularly, the news outlet said. The container was about 30 feet by 15 feet, Wright said.
“It’s only by God’s grace we found that little girl alive,” the sheriff added.
A missing persons report had been filed for Brown and her 32-year-old boyfriend Charles Carver, who authorities have still not found.
Todd Christopher Kohlhepp, a 45-year-old registered sex offender, was arrested in connection with the incident, the Associated Press reports. Brown, who worked for Kohlhepp, warned detectives that there may be other victims. “We’re trying to make sure that we don’t have a serial killer on our hands,” Wright said.
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up