A South Carolina woman who was reported missing in late August was found “chained up like a dog” inside a storage container, authorities said Thursday.
Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright said deputies discovered Kala Brown in the town of Woodruff after they heard the 30-year-old woman banging on the chained and locked container, according to WYFF 4.
Brown, who had a chain around her neck, told her rescuers that her captor kept her inside the container for two months and fed her regularly, the news outlet said. The container was about 30 feet by 15 feet, Wright said.
“It’s only by God’s grace we found that little girl alive,” the sheriff added.
A missing persons report had been filed for Brown and her 32-year-old boyfriend Charles Carver, who authorities have still not found.
Todd Christopher Kohlhepp, a 45-year-old registered sex offender, was arrested in connection with the incident, the Associated Press reports. Brown, who worked for Kohlhepp, warned detectives that there may be other victims. “We’re trying to make sure that we don’t have a serial killer on our hands,” Wright said.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time