Yeezy went so far as to declare that he would boycott the 2017 Grammy Awards if Ocean didn’t receive nominations for his two recent releases, Blonde and Endless.
West’s ultimatum, however, might be fruitless since a Grammy rep confirmed to Billboard that neither of Ocean’s albums were submitted for consideration, even though both were released before the Sept. 30 eligibility cutoff date. Billboard also reported that the decision not to submit might have even been intentional on the part of Ocean and his team.
Like many of Ocean’s famously ardent and long-suffering fans, however, West wants to make sure that Ocean is getting the recognition he deserves.
“The album I listen to the most this year is Frank Ocean’s album,” he said. “I’ll tell you this right now, if his album is not nominated in no categories, I’m not showing up to the Grammys. As artists, we’ve got to come together to fight the bullshit.”
He later encouraged the head of the Grammys to “come and holla at ‘Ye.”
Watch Kanye’s full speech below.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List