Yeezy went so far as to declare that he would boycott the 2017 Grammy Awards if Ocean didn’t receive nominations for his two recent releases, Blonde and Endless.
West’s ultimatum, however, might be fruitless since a Grammy rep confirmed to Billboard that neither of Ocean’s albums were submitted for consideration, even though both were released before the Sept. 30 eligibility cutoff date. Billboard also reported that the decision not to submit might have even been intentional on the part of Ocean and his team.
Like many of Ocean’s famously ardent and long-suffering fans, however, West wants to make sure that Ocean is getting the recognition he deserves.
“The album I listen to the most this year is Frank Ocean’s album,” he said. “I’ll tell you this right now, if his album is not nominated in no categories, I’m not showing up to the Grammys. As artists, we’ve got to come together to fight the bullshit.”
He later encouraged the head of the Grammys to “come and holla at ‘Ye.”
Watch Kanye’s full speech below.
- From Jan. 6 to Tyre Nichols, American Life Is Still Defined by Caste
- As People Return to Offices, It’s Back to Miserable for America’s Working Moms
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year