Yeezy went so far as to declare that he would boycott the 2017 Grammy Awards if Ocean didn’t receive nominations for his two recent releases, Blonde and Endless.
West’s ultimatum, however, might be fruitless since a Grammy rep confirmed to Billboard that neither of Ocean’s albums were submitted for consideration, even though both were released before the Sept. 30 eligibility cutoff date. Billboard also reported that the decision not to submit might have even been intentional on the part of Ocean and his team.
Like many of Ocean’s famously ardent and long-suffering fans, however, West wants to make sure that Ocean is getting the recognition he deserves.
“The album I listen to the most this year is Frank Ocean’s album,” he said. “I’ll tell you this right now, if his album is not nominated in no categories, I’m not showing up to the Grammys. As artists, we’ve got to come together to fight the bullshit.”
He later encouraged the head of the Grammys to “come and holla at ‘Ye.”
Watch Kanye’s full speech below.
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror