Foul-mouthed Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has outdone himself once again with public remarks insulting Western allies — only this time, they lack even more clarity than usual.
“You sons of whores. Your euro, that’s a piece of paper. You run out of toilet paper, you wipe up your ass,” Duterte said on Saturday at a press conference in Davao, according to Agence France-Presse. “You guys are bullshit. Why am I saying this? It sounds the height of vulgarity. You started it.”
Duterte’s incoherent remarks followed his recent suggestion that the Philippines would sever ties with the U.S., the country’s former colonizer and longtime ally. Duterte has since dialed back on claims that he would abandon Washington in favor of Beijing.
Since taking office in June, Duterte has initiated a gruesome drug war that has resulted in thousands of extrajudicial killings of alleged dealers and users. Criticism of his tactics by world leaders have led him to lash out verbally, keeping several members of his government in a chronic state of damage control.
In September, Duterte infamously referred to U.S. President Barack Obama as a “son of a whore.”
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears