The world’s long-awaited first look at Nintendo’s NX next-gen platform is finally happening. The company says it’ll run a “preview trailer” for the system — NX isn’t its official brand, just a codename — on Thursday, October 20 at 10 a.m. ET. The trailer, described as a “first glimpse” by the company in an email, is poised to be the company’s “preliminary announcement of information regarding the platform.”
The heads-up leaves almost no margin for further guessing, which is surely intentional. Speculation is that the company’s planning something that combines the mobile flexibility of its 3DS handheld with the processing power and big-screen connectivity of a set-top. So something that goes with you, but that interfaces with your home media setup, plus whatever idiosyncratic twists the company’s seen fit to include that might distinguish the platform from the competition.
Will we get a detailed overview, or literally just a glimpse of the system? Nintendo said earlier this year that we’d get our first look at the new system before the end of the year, but little else. Could the full reveal be further out, maybe in 2017? We’ll see. In an interview with TIME last December, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima said of NX “I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”
Update: Nintendo’s Japanese Twitter account is saying the video will be short, about three minutes long. So definitely a “glimpse,” and not a full unveiling.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement