During an interview with Maria Shriver that aired on the Today show Wednesday, Cher spoke about her struggle with accepting herself in her mature years. Given her devoted fans, it may be surprising to hear her lukewarm feelings about…herself.
“I’ve never really been in love with Cher. She’s all right, but I’m not a huge fan…I’m not a Cher fan,” she said. “I just don’t know how to accept [my age]. I don’t want to either – but I don’t really know how to. I look in the mirror, and I see this old lady looking back at me. And I have no idea how she got there.”
However, she isn’t letting any self-esteem issues interfere with her musical career. “I say you have to be like a bumper car and you hit the wall, and you back up, and you go a different way — and then you go at the wall again,” she said. “The only thing I know is not to give up. I don’t know anything else.”
Read more at Today.com.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve