July’s Republican National Convention seems like a quaint memory at this point, so you may have forgotten the time “Melania Trump” — a.k.a. the Tony-winning actress Laura Benanti — popped by The Late Show to discuss her “plagiarism scandal” with Stephen Colbert.
On Tuesday night, Benanti was back in character to stand up for Donald, who in recent weeks has taken a media battering following damning accusations of sexual misconduct.
“My husband is kind. He is a gentleman,” she says, in a loosely Eastern European accent, on the subject of the accusations. But it’s hard to do her comedy justice in words, since the humor really lies in Benanti’s spot-on impersonation.
Watch it above.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve