Boxer Adrien Broner is safe after posting apparent suicide threats on Instagram, two people close to him say.
Broner made a series of alarming Instagram posts on Tuesday. “3PM I’m doing it,” he wrote in one. “I’m sorry to my family and friends but I don’t want to be here no more.” His next post was a photo of a handgun with the caption, “I’m going home I love y’all.”
Shortly before 3 p.m., he posted an image of white text on a black background that read “25 minutes.”
Broner’s girlfriend, Arie Nicole, wrote on Snapchat that “Adrien is okay.” Broner’s longtime adviser, Sam Watson, told the Guardian that Broner is safe.
“He’s OK, he’s OK,” Watson said. “I’m not sure what’s going on but I talked to him yesterday and he was fine. I’m sure he’s OK.”
Broner, 27, has held title belts in four divisions. He has a career record of 32–2–1 with 24 knockouts.
He was charged with assault and robbery after an incident at a Cincinnati bowling alley in January, though the charges were dropped last month. In July, Broner was sentenced to 30 days in jail for arriving late to a trial appearance.
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up