Boxer Adrien Broner is safe after posting apparent suicide threats on Instagram, two people close to him say.
Broner made a series of alarming Instagram posts on Tuesday. “3PM I’m doing it,” he wrote in one. “I’m sorry to my family and friends but I don’t want to be here no more.” His next post was a photo of a handgun with the caption, “I’m going home I love y’all.”
Shortly before 3 p.m., he posted an image of white text on a black background that read “25 minutes.”
Broner’s girlfriend, Arie Nicole, wrote on Snapchat that “Adrien is okay.” Broner’s longtime adviser, Sam Watson, told the Guardian that Broner is safe.
“He’s OK, he’s OK,” Watson said. “I’m not sure what’s going on but I talked to him yesterday and he was fine. I’m sure he’s OK.”
Broner, 27, has held title belts in four divisions. He has a career record of 32–2–1 with 24 knockouts.
He was charged with assault and robbery after an incident at a Cincinnati bowling alley in January, though the charges were dropped last month. In July, Broner was sentenced to 30 days in jail for arriving late to a trial appearance.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This