Boxer Adrien Broner is safe after posting apparent suicide threats on Instagram, two people close to him say.
Broner made a series of alarming Instagram posts on Tuesday. “3PM I’m doing it,” he wrote in one. “I’m sorry to my family and friends but I don’t want to be here no more.” His next post was a photo of a handgun with the caption, “I’m going home I love y’all.”
Shortly before 3 p.m., he posted an image of white text on a black background that read “25 minutes.”
Broner’s girlfriend, Arie Nicole, wrote on Snapchat that “Adrien is okay.” Broner’s longtime adviser, Sam Watson, told the Guardian that Broner is safe.
“He’s OK, he’s OK,” Watson said. “I’m not sure what’s going on but I talked to him yesterday and he was fine. I’m sure he’s OK.”
Broner, 27, has held title belts in four divisions. He has a career record of 32–2–1 with 24 knockouts.
He was charged with assault and robbery after an incident at a Cincinnati bowling alley in January, though the charges were dropped last month. In July, Broner was sentenced to 30 days in jail for arriving late to a trial appearance.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time