President Barack Obama on Sunday addressed for the first time a leaked video tape from 2005 in which Donald Trump made lewd comments about women and said he can grope them because he is “a star.”
Obama called Trump insecure and said his remarks show character that does not belong in the White House. In the tape, Trump brags to Billy Bush, then-host of Access Hollywood, that he can do whatever he wants to women.
“Grab them by the p—y,” Trump says. “You can do anything.”
The president, speaking at a Democratic fundraiser in Chicago, said the comments were disturbing. “One of the most disturbing things about this election is just the unbelievable rhetoric,” he said, adding, “I don’t need to repeat it, there are children in the room.”
Obama said Trump’s remarks were “demeaning to women, degrading women, but also minorities, immigrants, people of other faiths, mocking the disabled, insulting our troops, insulting our veterans.”
“It tells you that he’s insecure,” Obama added. “He pumps himself up by putting other people down. Not a character trait that I would advise for somebody in the Oval Office.”
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow