A $615,862 bet has been placed on Hillary Clinton to win the election—the biggest bet ever staked on any U.S. presidential election.
British bookmaker William Hill announced on Friday that the bet had been made for €550,000. A 46-year-old female client placed the amount on Clinton becoming President at odds of 4/11, or a 73% chance of success, in the hope of making a profit of around $224,000.
“As far as we are aware, this is the biggest wager ever taken on the US Presidential Elections,” a William Hill spokesman said. “As a result of taking this bet, a win for Donald Trump has now become the favored outcome for us in terms of our liabilities for either of the two leading contenders.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com