Vice presidential hopefuls Mike Pence and Tim Kaine came prepared for their moment in the spotlight Tuesday night, armed with hours of preparation, talking points and canned zingers.
But Trump’s running mate Indiana Gov. Pence stumbled right out of the gate when he got one of his first facts wrong: the name of the location of the debate.
“Thank you to Norwood University for their wonderful hospitality,” he said in his opening statement.
Unfortunately for Pence, the debate was actually hosted at Longwood University in Farmville, Va.
Shortly afterward, Norwood University began to trend on Twitter.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms