Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson may be known for his signature eyebrow raise (known colloquially as the “People’s Eyebrow,”) but Disney’s newest face, Auli’i Cravalho of Moana, decided to give him a run for his money.
“Dwayne and I are here, and we have a little bet: that I, you know, being the main character in Moana, I can do the People’s Eyebrow. And I can do it better than him,” Cravalho explains cheekily in a video shared to Twitter. So the two Moana co-stars give the camera their best face. While The Rock says he appreciates the young actress’s confidence, he’s not so sure she has what it takes to make the signature expression; he even compliments his own look, calling it “sexy,” to Auli’i’s disbelief. The real test: which of the two can do not just one but both sides.
Luckily, Hamilton‘s Lin-Manuel Miranda—who’s also a contributor to Moana as a composer on the soundtrack—jumps in at the last second to proclaim a winner of the contest. (It seems The Rock’s ego is strong enough to handle the verdict either way, in case you were worried about him.)
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating