Kanye West abruptly ended his concert in New York City on Sunday night, citing a “family emergency.”
West was performing his song “Heartless” onstage at the Meadows Music & Arts Festival in Queens, where he was the headline act, when he was pulled aside by a handler, according to reports from various media outlets and footage of the concert that has since been posted on Twitter.
“I’m sorry,” he told the crowd. “I have a family emergency. I have to stop the show.”
“You have 30 minutes!” someone in the audience yelled. West left the stage at around 9:40 p.m.; he was slated to perform until 10 p.m.
Shortly afterwards, the festival’s organizers tweeted that West had ended his performance because of an “emergency.”
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.