You haven’t heard the last of Captain Jack Sparrow. After more than five years of placid waters, the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is ready to set sail again with the first trailer for the fifth film, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.
The first footage debuted during Sunday’s season finale of Fear the Walking Dead on AMC.
The teaser trailer opens on a ship entering an ominous cave, leading to a fiery and deadly battle, eventually finding Brenton Thwaites’ Henry, who’s confronted by the ghostly, almost zombie-like Captain Salazar (Javier Bardem). After piercing with his sword a Wanted sign featuring Johnny Depp’s Jack Sparrow, he tells Henry, “Find Sparrow for me and relay a message from Capitan Salazar, and tell him… death will come straight for him.”
Depp reprises his jovially sloshed role alongside Orlando Bloom as Will Turner, Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa, Kevin McNally as Gibbs, and Stephen Graham as Scrum.
The story centers on the villainous Captain Salazar, who leads a horde of deadly ghost pirates out of the Devil’s Triangle on a mission to kill every pirate at sea. To save himself, the down-on-his-luck Captain Jack must find the artifact known as the Trident of Poseidon, which grants its wielder dominion over the sea.
In addition to Thwaites (The Gods of Egypt), Dead Men Tell No Talesalso features Kaya Scodelario (The Maze Runner) and Golshifteh Farahani (Exodus: Gods and Kings). Production began in February 2015 with directors Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, but was delayed due to an injury sustained by Depp.
The film is scheduled for release on May 26, 2017. See the teaser trailer above.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating