After Hillary Clinton accused Donald Trump during Monday’s debate of saying sexist things about former Miss Universe Alicia Machado, Trump has now responded by urging supporters to watch Machado’s alleged sex tape.
In a blast of tweets during the early hours of Friday morning, Trump said Machado was his “worst Miss U”:
He called Machado a “con”:
And he told his Twitter followers to watch alleged sex tapes of Machado, while claiming that Clinton’s team used her as a pawn:
Myth-busting website Snopes found that Machado has not, in fact, starred in any pornographic films. She did appear on the Spanish reality show La Granja in 2005 where she reportedly was filmed having sex with a cast mate, but Snopes writes that the tape “is nothing more than some grainy, night-vision footage of a couple of covered figures writhing in a bed, [which] hardly qualifies as explicit. And reality television being what it is, the scene the tape depicts was quite possibly staged or fabricated.”
As for her “past”: Shortly after she was crowned Miss Universe, Machado was accused of being involved in an attempted murder, but the charges were dropped. Speaking on CNN this week, Machado said of the incident, “You know, I have my past. Of course, everybody has a past. I’m not a saint girl. But that is not the point now.”
Machado has been working with the Clinton campaign this year and did recently become a citizen and will vote against Trump, but there is no evidence that Clinton’s campaign had anything to do with her citizenship.
Trump’s smear campaign against Machado began in the late 1990s, with the comments that Clinton dredged up in the debate. At the time, he allegedly called Machado, who is Venezuelan, ‘Miss Housekeeping’ and ‘Miss Piggy’ when she gained weight after she was crowned Miss Universe at age 19.
Along with advancing sordid theories about Machado’s past, Trump continues to double down on his initial criticism of her weight. “She was the winner, and she gained a massive amount of weight, and it was a real problem,” he said on Fox and Friends the morning after the debate.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out