Amber Rose may not be upset about her scores on Dancing with the Stars, but she is upset with judge Julianne Hough.
On her latest Loveline with Amber Rose, the season 23 contestant revealed she felt “body shamed” when Hough commented on her week three “Booty” salsa with pro partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy.
“Last night was like, they did the commentary, and I, it was a point in the dance where I had to lift my leg up and Maks dipped me & [Julianne] said, ‘Oh, I’m uncomfortable,’ and instantly I felt, I did feel body shamed,” Rose, 32, said.
“You know, all the beautiful professional dancers that are on Dancing With the Stars, I mean they dress very sexy and they do the splits and they grind up on these guys and they look absolutely stunning and get a standing ovation,” the mother of one continued.
She concluded, “And me, and my body, my hips, my ass, my breasts made her uncomfortable.”
Hough responded to Rose’s comments, telling E! News: “To be clear, that was a produced package, not live coverage and they can put those sound bites anywhere. My ‘uncomfortable’ comment was about the fact that I felt like I wanted more out of the performance – when someone is doing a hot, sexy dance like that without the right amount of energy that is required, it can be uncomfortable to watch.”
The one-time mirrorball champion added, “Trust me I’m ALL for a sexy booty dance!! We all know that!! And any kind of body shaming goes against everything I believe in.”
Before Rose’s comments about Hough went public, Chmerkovskiy defended his partner. “I think a bit more constructive criticism from the judges would have been helpful,” he said in his Entertainment Weekly blog. “It made me so upset to see how sad Amber was after the judges’ comments … The bottom line is the song says ‘booty, booty, booty’ about 70% of the song, so there’s no way we weren’t going to work that into the dance!”
Dancing with the Stars airs Mondays and Tuesdays at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve