Dolly Parton and RuPaul share a love of big hair, over-the-top ensembles and sparkles and now we know that the two entertainers are actually good friends IRL, which gives us major FOMO because they’re basically the ultimate friendship goals.
In a joint interview with Dazed, the two entertainers discuss beauty, wigs and a potential collaboration. Here, we’ve rounded up a few of the highlights from the exchange below.
Dolly on the similarities that she and Ru share:
“I thought he was big and beautiful. We’re just like twins, except he’s about four feet taller!”
RuPaul on how Dolly inspires him:
“My image is two parts Diana Ross and Cher, one part David Bowie and three parts Dolly Parton, and that’s how I came up with my persona.”
Dolly on why more is always more:
“I always said if I hadn’t been a woman I would have been a drag queen. For sure. And it’s been a joy to do this, because I was not born a natural beauty, nor was Ru, but I think we’re beautiful in our own way, and whatever makes you feel beautiful is what you should do. They always say that less is more, but I think that’s the biggest crock I ever heard.”
RuPaul on Dolly’s lasting impact on the industry:
“I think the dichotomy of such a superficial image with such real, deep, heartfelt talent and emotion – that juxtaposition – is what makes her so interesting.”
Dolly and RuPaul on whether heels and wigs can ever be too high:
R: ” Absolutely not”
D: “Not for me! I wish I could get heels as high as RuPaul.”
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow