Since Last Week Tonight has been on hiatus for a few weeks, John Oliver had some lost time to make up for in his coverage of the 2016 presidential election, or as he calls it, “the electoral equivalent of seeing someone puking so you start puking and then someone else puking and pretty soon everyone is puking 2016.”
Presidential elections have had scandals in the past, but the so-called scandals in this campaign have been so pronounced, according to Oliver, that fewer than half of Americans see Donald Trump as trustworthy, and just 36% see Hillary Clinton as worthy of trust.
To help any voters who are still on the fence between the candidates, Oliver helpfully walked viewers through the various scandals, including Benghazi, Clinton’s private email servers, the Clinton Foundation dealings, and the Swiss file transfer scandal, which Oliver made up simply to prove the point that, at this point in the election, people will believe anything.
Despite the scandals that have dogged Clinton’s campaign, Oliver still finds her vastly preferable to Trump, or as Oliver calls him “America’s wealthiest hemorrhoid.” According to Oliver, Trump is “quantifiably worse” than Clinton, and has a laundry list of scandals, lawsuits and low Politifact ranking to prove it.
Oliver noted it is “dangerous” to think there is an equal number of scandals on both sides, noting that: “Ethical failings in a politician are like raisins in a cookie — they shouldn’t be there, they disgust people — but most politicians have a few raisins.” He then took a raisin shower to prove his point.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve