The reason was both relatable and very, very pragmatic; Davis had eaten one of the peanut butter sandwiches that Jimmy Kimmel’s mother had made, which the Stranger Things kids had distributed during the show and subsequently had peanut butter all over her Marchesa gown. Additionally, she was experiencing hot flashes on and off throughout the night, which is hardly an ideal comfort level for delivering an acceptance speech.
The interview also gave us a heartwarming look into the actor’s life, where people often conflate her actual person with her fierce characters Annalise Keating and Amanda Waller.
“People apparently think I have a hostile face,” she said. “People mistake me for Annalise Keating and Amanda Waller, so I have to smile. I have to overly smile. I have to smile as if I’m doing a Colgate commercial smile.”
Watch the full interview below.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time