A man who was shot Wednesday in Charlotte during the second night of protests in the North Carolina city over a fatal police shooting of a black man has died, police said.
Justin Carr, 26, had been listed in critical condition and was on life support before he was pronounced dead Thursday at a hospital, the Charlotte Observer reports.
He had been shot in the head in a “civilian on civilian” shooting that did not involve police officers, the newspaper said, citing city officials. A homicide investigation has been launched, according to the Associated Press.
Protests erupted in Charlotte after 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott was killed by police.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org