Disney is no longer selling a controversial Halloween costume of a character from its upcoming movie Moana after critics said the costume’s brown skin was racist.
The company said Thursday that it is pulling the costume of Maui (voiced by Dwayne Johnson in the film) from its website and stores after it sparked outrage earlier this week. The outfit consists of a brown bodysuit with tattoos.
“The team behind Moana has taken great care to respect the cultures of the Pacific Islands that inspired the film, and we regret that the Maui costume has offended some,” Disney said in a statement to CNN Money.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time