In a statement released to PEOPLE, Pitt said his focus is on the “well-being of our kids.”
“I am very saddened by this, but what matters most now is the well-being of our kids,” he said in the statement. “I kindly ask the press to give them the space they deserve during this challenging time.”
Jolie filed from divorced from the actor, 52, on Monday after just two years of marriage, citing irreconcilable differences as the reason for their split.
According to court documents obtained by PEOPLE, Jolie asked for physical custody of the couple’s shared six children – Maddox, Pax, Zahara, Shiloh, Vivienne, and Knox – asking for Pitt to be granted visitation.
“The divorce is a complete shock,” a source close to the couple told PEOPLE. “They have definitely spent more time apart this year, but it’s still a shock. They just celebrated their wedding anniversary together.”
The documents state that the couple have been separated since Sept. 15.
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up