In a statement released to PEOPLE, Pitt said his focus is on the “well-being of our kids.”
“I am very saddened by this, but what matters most now is the well-being of our kids,” he said in the statement. “I kindly ask the press to give them the space they deserve during this challenging time.”
Jolie filed from divorced from the actor, 52, on Monday after just two years of marriage, citing irreconcilable differences as the reason for their split.
According to court documents obtained by PEOPLE, Jolie asked for physical custody of the couple’s shared six children – Maddox, Pax, Zahara, Shiloh, Vivienne, and Knox – asking for Pitt to be granted visitation.
“The divorce is a complete shock,” a source close to the couple told PEOPLE. “They have definitely spent more time apart this year, but it’s still a shock. They just celebrated their wedding anniversary together.”
The documents state that the couple have been separated since Sept. 15.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms