In a statement released to PEOPLE, Pitt said his focus is on the “well-being of our kids.”
“I am very saddened by this, but what matters most now is the well-being of our kids,” he said in the statement. “I kindly ask the press to give them the space they deserve during this challenging time.”
Jolie filed from divorced from the actor, 52, on Monday after just two years of marriage, citing irreconcilable differences as the reason for their split.
According to court documents obtained by PEOPLE, Jolie asked for physical custody of the couple’s shared six children – Maddox, Pax, Zahara, Shiloh, Vivienne, and Knox – asking for Pitt to be granted visitation.
“The divorce is a complete shock,” a source close to the couple told PEOPLE. “They have definitely spent more time apart this year, but it’s still a shock. They just celebrated their wedding anniversary together.”
The documents state that the couple have been separated since Sept. 15.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022