In the span of just two hours on Sunday, three surfers were attacked by sharks off a beach in Florida.
Two of the three were bitten on the leg and the other was bitten on both hands in theNew Smyrna Beach attack, according to Florida’s WFTV. Two men, ages 43 and 36, were taken to the hospital for treatment. The third surfer, age 16, suffered from minor lacerations and did not need to go to the hospital.
One of the victims posted pictures of his rescue on Facebook and asked his friends to keep him in their thoughts as he undergoes surgery for his injuries.
It’s no surprise that the attacks happened in New Smyrna Beach; according to National Geographic’s “Shark Attack Facts” New Smyrna is “the shark attack capital of the world.” September is also the month shark attacks are most likely to happen in Florida.
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time