An explosive device detonated on Saturday morning before an annual New Jersey road race benefiting U.S. Marines and sailors, authorities said.
The pipe bomb had been inside a trash can on the boardwalk in Seaside Park, N.J., the Associated Press reported.
Thousands of people were set to take part in the 5K race, which has since been canceled. Runners were expected to pass by that area of the boardwalk at the time of the explosion, but the start of the race was delayed when an unattended backpack was found, the AP reported.
No injuries have been reported, according to the AP. The incident is still being investigated by state and federal authorities.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Katie Reilly at Katie.Reilly@time.com