Donald Trump on Friday suggested that Hillary Clinton’s Secret Service detail should be disarmed of all weapons, saying “let’s see what happens to her.”
Trump made the reference at a rally in Miami while discussing Clinton’s support for gun control.
“I think that her bodyguards should drop all weapons. They should disarm,” he said, according to CNN video. “I think they should disarm—immediately. What do you think? Yes? Take their guns away. She doesn’t want guns. Let’s see what happens to her. Take their guns away, OK. It’ll be very dangerous.”
He later made a similar comment on Twitter. “Crooked Hillary wants to take your 2nd Amendment rights away,” he said, making a false claim about Clinton’s stance on gun control. “Will guns be taken from her heavily armed Secret Service detail? Maybe not!”
As Politifact has noted, Clinton supports gun control measures, but has said she would still protect the right bear arms.
Trump’s comments on Friday echoed a controversial statement he made last month, when he suggested that gun rights activists, “Second Amendment people,” could take matters into their own hands if Clinton is elected president and begins to appoint new judges.
“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,” Trump said. “Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is. I don’t know.”
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This