Donald Trump on Friday suggested that Hillary Clinton’s Secret Service detail should be disarmed of all weapons, saying “let’s see what happens to her.”
Trump made the reference at a rally in Miami while discussing Clinton’s support for gun control.
“I think that her bodyguards should drop all weapons. They should disarm,” he said, according to CNN video. “I think they should disarm—immediately. What do you think? Yes? Take their guns away. She doesn’t want guns. Let’s see what happens to her. Take their guns away, OK. It’ll be very dangerous.”
He later made a similar comment on Twitter. “Crooked Hillary wants to take your 2nd Amendment rights away,” he said, making a false claim about Clinton’s stance on gun control. “Will guns be taken from her heavily armed Secret Service detail? Maybe not!”
As Politifact has noted, Clinton supports gun control measures, but has said she would still protect the right bear arms.
Trump’s comments on Friday echoed a controversial statement he made last month, when he suggested that gun rights activists, “Second Amendment people,” could take matters into their own hands if Clinton is elected president and begins to appoint new judges.
“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,” Trump said. “Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is. I don’t know.”
- Climate-Conscious Architects Want Europe To Build Less
- The Red-State Governor Who's Not Afraid to Be 'Woke'
- Jonathan Van Ness: We Are Still Not Taking Monkeypox Seriously Enough
- The Not-So-Romantic Return of Europe's Sleeper Trains
- This Filmmaker Set Out To Record Her Family’s Journey Rebuilding Afghanistan. Her Work Is a Reminder of What’s at Stake
- Why Sunscreen Ingredients Need More Safety Data
- What Historians Think of the Joe Biden-Jimmy Carter Comparisons
- Author Mimi Zhu Is Relearning What It Means to Love After Trauma