The British Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Simon Collis, has become the first high-ranking diplomat in the U.K. to convert to Islam and complete the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.
News that Collis, 60, had converted to Islam came to light with pictures posted to Twitter of him and his wife dressed in white clothes that Muslim pilgrims to Mecca wear. the Telegraph reports.
In a response on Twitter, Collis confirmed that he has converted. “God bless you. In brief: I converted to Islam after 30 years of living in Muslim societies and before marrying Huda,” he wrote in Arabic, according to the Telegraph. The Guardian reports that conversion took place in 2011.
Before moving to work in Riyadh in 2015, Collis served in other Middle Eastern countries such as Iraq, Qatar, Syria, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time